By Inkjet Insight / Published:

A space—or keyline—left in a document for the later insertion of some form of graphic image. Also known as acutout.

The term knockout is also used to refer to “white type” or, in other words, type which prints as a reverse, or, in fact, doesn’t really print at all, allowing the color of the page to show through a background in the shape of type. Sometimes pelled as two words, knock out, or with a hyphen, knock-out.